See and do in Delft
- Nieuwe Kerk (New Church), Markt 80, +31 15 2123025, Closed on Sundays. Located at Markt, this church was built in 1496. The royal burial chamber is in this church but is not accessible. Prince William of Orange was the first to be buried here, after being shot in 1584. It is possible to climb the 108,75 m tower to get a impressive view of Delft and surroundings. It’s the second highest church tower, after the Dom church of Utrecht. You can see both Rotterdam and The Hague and on clear days is it possible to see Leiden and even Amsterdam. It’s well worth the effort. €4 for the church interior only; €3 extra to climb the tower only; a ticket here also gives free entrance to the Oude Church. On a cold day, it can remain chilly even inside the church.
- Oude Kerk (Old Church), Heilige Geestkerkhof 25, +31 15 2123015, Closed on Sundays. This is Delft’s oldest church, being built in 1246. The interior of this church is excellent. Famous Dutchmen are buried in this church, including Piet Hein, Maerten Tromp and Johannes Vermeer. €4, which includes free entrance to the New Church. The Old Church leans out considerably over the Oude Delft canal. When the tower was built the canal had to be moved away from the church as the tower would have been half in the water. During the building works it became apparent that canal-half of the base soil was not firm enough to support the tower. To compensate for the tilt the upper part of the tower was build with a compensating counter-curve. You cannot climb the tower of Oude Kerk.
- De Prinsenhof, Sint Agathaplein 1, +31 15 2602358. Open Tu-Su 11:00 to 17:00. In medieval Delft Sint Agathaklooster was the biggest cloister in Delft. After 1650 it was split in two parts. Part of the chapel remained for religious service (Waalse Kerk). Prince William of Orange held court in the rest of the complex. He was killed here in 1584. Nowadays the complex houses some museums, including the city museum. €10 adults, €5 for students/teens.
- Vermeer Centrum Delft, Voldersgracht 21, +31 15 2138588. The Vermeer Centrum offers a view on the works and life of the famous 17th century painter Johannes Vermeer. The souterrain houses reproductions from all of his 37 works in chronological order. On the 1st floor, you find the studio of Vermeer that shows the methods and the famous light of Vermeer. On the 2nd floor, the special exhibition “Love Letters from Vermeer” reveals secrets from several famous paintings. Open all days from 10:00 to 17:00 except 25th December and 1st January.
- Synagogue, Koornmarkt 12, +31 15 2563371. Open Jun-Oct only on sat 14-17. This former synagogue was built in 1862 as temple, to a design of Ir. Leon Winkel. The building houses a permanent exhibition to the remembrance of the Jewish victims in the Second Word War.
- Porceleyne Fles (Royal Delft factory), Rotterdamseweg 196, +31 15 2512030. Open 9-17. Around 1750, 32 earthenware factories were located in Delft. Koninklijke Porceleyne Fles is the only factory remaining from that era. It is possible to visit the factory or to participate in a workshop. Entrance: €12,50, children < 12 years free, children 13 – 18 years old €6,25.
- De Candelaer, Kerkstraat 13, +31 15 2131848. De Candelaer is a little porcelain factory in the inner city. It is possible to visit De Candelear.
- Molen de Roos (windmill), Phoenixstraat 112, +31 71 5012672. It is possible to visit the mill if the blue flag is flying. For a group visit, call ahead.
- Artilleriemagazijn( Artillery Depot), Paardenmarkt 1. As a result of the reformation around 1572, many cloisters were abandoned. This happened to the Clarissenklooster as well. It became a warehouse for sulphur, saltpeter and cannon. In 1637 a small tower for firepowder was built. In 1654 this tower exploded, destroying a large part of the city. After this it was rebuilt. It is not open for visitors.
- Universiteitsbibliotheek (University Library), Prometheusplein 1, +31 15 2785678. Between the Mekelweg and the Schoemakerstraat sits one of the largest technical libraries of Europe. It is housed in a glass building, with a sloping grass roof penetrated by a concrete cone. Free entrance during opening hours (08:00-24:00 daily, including sundays. 08:00-02:00 during exam weeks.)
- Science Centre Delft, formely Techniekmuseum (Technology Museum). This museum, run by Delft University, is housed in a beautiful building. Activities aimed at children are there to touch and be handled. Really good stuff for the 8 to 14 year olds.
- The Prinsenhof They still haven’t fixed the bullet holes in the wall where William of Orange was killed. This museum presents the story of the Eighty Years’ War and has some nice old paintings
- Vermeer Centrum DelftThe Vermeer Centrum Delft offers mostly souveniers of the famous Delft painter Johannes Vermeer.
- Lambert van Meerten A collection of Delft ware, closed in 2013 due to austerity measures.
- Paul Tetar van Elven Museum Paul Tetar van Elven has a collection of Oriental ceramics and Delft Blue ware of the 19th century.
- Botanical Garden The Botanical Garden of the TU Delft is an oasis of peace.
- Griffioen This collection illustrates the development of medicine. Because the collection is of a specialist nature, the museum is only open by appointment for groups of a minimum of 10 people.
- Delft Historic Tobacco Museum Besides ethnoghraphic pipes from almost every part of the world, you can see implements, tools,old packaging relating to cigars, cigarettes, snuff, chewing tobacco and pipe tobacco.